Thursday, February 19, 2015

Owl City Nostalgia

It's only been two days and I've already created another album artwork. When I get obsessed, I go full out.

I had two favorite bands for the duration of high school. Owl City was the one I told people about. I listened to Adam Young's songs so many times that I memorized every lyric (no small feat, as this was a time before he began utilizing a common chorus). I could even associate melody with title - also a difficult thing to do as, much like Fall Out Boy, his song titles didn't often appear in the song itself.

So this time I typed "Owl City mashup" into the YouTube search engine, and while there (sadly) weren't a lot of options to choose from, I did find a video composed of only Owl City songs - "How I Became the Sea," "Cave In," and "Galaxies." Excellent song choices, as they were all among my favorites (though I did have many).

(Once again, check to make sure it's playing in HD.)



I think the cloud formation to the far left looks like a dragon's skull. Didn't plan it.

A lot of the stuff might look oddly easy; for instance, the whale and words selecting themselves with the moving dotted line to get rid of the background, or the words suddenly turning pink at what seems a simple click. But I actually just edited the processes out because they were so time consuming. I had to trace around the whale and each individual letter, and I had to paint over the words manually because they were black and didn't show up against the dark blue. You can't change the hue of black, like I later did once the words were painted pink.

Last time, the cover for "Applause Miss Jackson" took around 20 minutes to make, and shortened down to three minutes when sped up by 8.5x. 

This cover took nearly two hours. I've never photoshopped something of this scale before, so I guess it's understandable. My first try editing it resulted in a video eight minutes long - 3 minutes over the song limit. I had to give up on that version and start a Mark 2. This one I cropped out and edited so much that the video was reduced to four minutes when sped up by 8x. 

TL;DR, the first video was shorter pre-editing, but had to be sped up faster. This video was nearly five times longer pre-editing, but didn't need to be sped up as much to match the song length.

I think it's because I got really carried away cutting out parts of the video I didn't think were necessary. It was like editing a high school essay all over again - the teacher tells you to edit your essay by one page, and instead you accidentally crop out two and a half. So when I found out the video was only four minutes long but the song was five, it was like the angels came swinging down from heaven.

Or from the galaxies, I should say.

No comments:

Post a Comment