Thursday, September 10, 2015

Discouraged Passion

My roommate is amazing.

How amazing?

Some people are just born with the gift of perfect timing.

Her essay reminds me of when I was applying to colleges and selecting my majors for each, and my parents were trying really hard to get me to at least consider a field in the arts. I love art, but I'm a little narrow-minded and self-centered in my pursuits - I only like art when I'm the one doing it. I adore playing the piano and I love to draw and paint - but if I were to attend a symphony or visit a museum, I'd get bored very quickly.

Besides that, I also didn't want to pursue art because there's little to no job stability. It's interesting how much of what we fondly remember of the classical era is art - epic poetry, statues, murals, architecture, and of course paintings - but it's such a poor and uncertain field to follow in the post-modern age. I wish I weren't so shallow as to have money be such an important thing to me, but it is a crucial element to a comfortable and happy life.

But my roommate has reminded me of how much I love to draw. It's fun for me, and a break from my computer, and I won't keep coyly denying that I'm not good at it anymore - I'm no Picasso, but I'm certainly better than a lot of other people.

In my first few weeks at college I finally got back into my Evanescia project and finished Aria - whom I had technically finished last October but just never got around to editing. I no longer have my Wacom tablet with me so I decided to leave the pencil marks rather than smoothing it out like I did with the previous people. Besides, I didn't want to mess up the blonde hair, as it wouldn't've done well with the jet-black shininess look anyways.

I got another person done too and ready for editing, but I'll probably wait a few weeks before I finish that too.

It's nice having motivating people around me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment