Saturday, October 18, 2014

Compilations

This week has been way too hectic to focus on one single topic. All my time has been devoted to classes, eating, sleeping, and writing last-minute abstracts and essays. So instead, I will include below a bunch of stuff that I've thought of/done/read this past week. The point is, to me, is that I feel as though I'm not getting much done, I'm not thinking of things outside of class, but the amount of things I want to record in the moment is overwhelming.

---

Below are 10 songs from 10 genres. Are you in the mood for:

Soundscape music:
Home (Ki:Theory Remix), by Odeza
Post-Hardcore music:
Restart, by Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! >EXPLICIT<
Electro music:
Acid Wolfpack, by Coyote Kisses
Throwback music:
Do You Remember, by Jay Sean
Vintage-Throwback music:
Why Should I Worry, by Billy Joel
Guilty Pleasure music:
Cotton Eye Joe, by Rednex
K-Pop music:
Fantastic Baby, by BigBang
Baroque music:
Prelude No. 21 in B-flat Major (Ends at 1:22, but then Fugue No. 21 starts)
Chill music:
Hideaway, by The Flavr Blue
Surprise me:
link

I realize there are a LOT more songs than usual. Just think of it as juke-box style.

---

Interesting Websites/Articles:
Damn Interesting - This website is - surprise, surprise - full of extremely interesting articles about a wide variety of subjects. Topics can range from weather phenomenon to potato weapons to women who give birth to rabbits. Curiosity piqued? Check it out.

Reading the Mind in the Eyes - I was researching evidence for a sociology essay about social classes, and came across this test. It shows you a picture of a person's eyes and nothing else, and has you guess (multiple choice) what the person is feeling. Apparently people from lower classes are better at guessing the emotions. The link takes you to a research project at Harvard, but the test was originally designed by Simon Baron-Cohen (et al) at Cambridge University.

Debate - This website has lots of forums, where a (usually controversial) question is asked, and people write comments defending the side they support. The ones I've scanned thus far are the death penalty, abortion, homosexuality, and if religion's history and beliefs should be taught (key word taught, NOT observed) at school.

Honestly, people here at college seem to prefer casual talk all the time when outside of class. Which is fine, but I also want to discuss and construct meaningful, well thought-out conversations about more serious issues than what we should do Saturday night and whether the hall irritant should be put in his place. Right now, Debate is as close as it gets.

---

Things That Make Me Irrationally Happy
-Heavy subwoofers
-The color blue
-Tumbr screenshots
-Seashells
-A small hot cider from the Weather Tech Cafe
-Feathers
-Rabbits (I should explain, they're everywhere on campus, as common as the squirrel, and that's not how the Bay Area is. So each time I see one, it's like - WHOA LOOK A RABBIT OMG)
-Concert Tickets
-Recommending music to people
-Haircuts where you can feel the absence of weight (I love long hair, but my hair is annoyingly long right now, and it's tedious taking care of it)
-Black clothing
-DIY air fresheners
-Cute snow-winter outfits
-and by extension, beanies
-Listening to hardstyle at maximum volume
-The smell of new books
-Knitted boot cuffs
-EDM laser shows
-Cold air in the morning
-Combat boots
-Cloves in oranges
-Small potted dorm succulents (Guess what I got at Home Depot today?)
-Ice water
-Deciduous trees
-Detail-planning big trips
-Becoming known as the girl who knows good songs from any genre
-I would say hot guys, but that's not really irrational, is it

---

Things I've Noticed About Myself
-I'm very detail-oriented. I do well when editing sentence phrasing and switching out words for a more intellectual substitute, but I don't instinctively first focus on idea organization and argument strength. I also compulsively straighten things so they line up like they're on a grid - it looks a lot neater that way (I'm hardly saying I have OCD, that's not a word to throw around lightly).
-I really don't care if I walk around alone anymore.
-I own a lot of really bland clothing, but I'm too afraid to get a more daring shirt if it catches my eye.
-Without a file cabinet, my papers have gone everywhere, and I'm not doing anything trying to find a new organizational method.
-I'm a lot more into the punk music/look than I thought I'd ever be. I mean, I always thought punks looked really cool, and I wished I could look like them from an early age, but I never had a reason to. Now that I listen to the music, I've gotten to that phase subconsciously. Sixth grade me would be so happy (even though I still don't self-identify as punk/emo).
-No matter how early I want to go to bed, I don't sleep until past 2 AM. Every night.
-I get surprised when strangers do nice things.
-Due to a lack of fictional books in the university library, I barely read real books anymore.
-I get a thrill when I know something else is fully dependent on me, and my time spent caring for that thing skyrockets (i.e. my new succulents).
-I'm always listening to music when I'm alone, and thinking back on it, I've realized I see it as time wasted if I'm alone and I'm not listening to music.
-I was very good at managing my to-do list at the beginning of the year, but now I'm getting more reluctant to cross items off that list, while more are added every day.
-I have a habit of actively chipping at my nail polish at the first sign of a natural chip.

---

"The cure for cancer or AIDS can be stuck in the mind of the baby you want to abort! How can you be so selfish as to take away that possibility?" The cure for cancer or AIDS could also be stuck in the mind of a teenage girl, who now has to give up her freedom, body, and education to raise an unwanted baby. Also, the chances that the child, growing up on a limited budget and a stressed environment, will have access to top-notch education are very slim.

Besides, the mind of a serial killer could be stuck in the baby you want to abort. The initiator of World War III could be stuck in the mind of the baby you want to abort. "The potential for evil is just as strong as the potential for good. Osama bin Laden, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler were once cute little babies too." (IMS) If you want to read the rest of the article where I got my backup, go here.

---

"I believe that the risk posed by pit bulls is equivalent to placing a loaded gun with the safety off on the coffee table." "In my opinion, these dogs should be banned." "There is no need for pit bulls." "...I ... think that pit bulls should be banned... because hundreds of people have been killed by a breed that is responsible for a majority of attacks, despite making up a minority of the dog population." (First three quotes - link. Last quote - link.)

This makes me furious.

I worked at an animal adoption center for two years when I still lived in the Bay Area, and by far the most common dogs given up for adoption were pit bull mixes and Chihuahuas. My favorite was a mix named Bella, who has the most beautiful hazel eyes you could imagine. She was very young, and liked to play rough, so the center tagged her as purple, which means only the most experienced dog owners were allowed to adopt her. Zeus, on the other hand, had an endearing habit of plopping himself down on my lap whenever I sat down on the ground. The numb legs were worth the trust. He was also purple, for no reason other than the fact he was a pit bull and therefore very strong. The last I saw them, both dogs had been up for adoption for over a year, in a place where most dogs get adopted within a month, depending on their breed.

Do you want to ban those dogs, too? The ones who didn't do anything?

If you actually did your research, you'll find that the media likes to propagate the myth that all pit bulls are dangerous animals only owned by those who like aggressiveness and violence, when in fact, they don't even know what a pit bull is. They often guess at the breed, and generalize "pit bull type." That means a whole lot of dogs of different breeds transfer their actions to the pit bull. In fact, there technically is no such breed as "pit bull." There is only the American Pit Bull Terrier. However, I will continue to use the term "pit bull" because it is faster to write.

You never hear from the media, "YORKIE GONE WILD!" "JACK RUSSELL TURNS ON FAMILY!" because who would want to read a story like that? Even though those incidents happen, no one wants to hear about ankle-biters, but smaller dogs can actually be more aggressive than bigger dogs. Because their bites usually don't have to be medically treated, they go unreported, thus skewing the reported statistics. According to a study published in the journal Applied Animal Behavior Science, dog families were surveyed instead of using stats from medical records, and it was found that Dachshunds were the most aggressive breed, followed by Chihuahuas and Jack Russell Terriers. But somehow, people understand that not all Dachshunds are aggressive and therefore shouldn't be banned? Is it because of the physical aesthetics?

Many websites like Dogsbite.org like to claim that pit bulls make up less than 5% of the dog population, but then contribute to a third or even a half of dog bite related fatalities. But there's no way to really know that for sure. Other, less biased websites claim that pit bulls make up around 30%-40% of the dog population, which means there are around 5.3 million pit bulls in the U.S. However, there is no annual census on dog populations, so we'll never know for sure. But looking around the places I've visited and seen, pit bulls are far more common than just 5%.

I found a morbidly funny comparison that is like to the fact that you are more likely to be killed by a cow than by a shark, and it is this: Each year, 350 people drown in their bathtubs. You are 151 times more likely to be killed by your bathtub than you are by a pit bull. On a more serious note, here is a more stilling comparison: It is at least a half a million times more likely that a pit bull will be killed by a HUMAN than the other way around, whether by being shot by police/citizens, or by euthanasia in adoption centers.

Do people even realize how other tamed animals are also responsible for human deaths every year? Why aren't there articles demonizing other domestic pets? Horses are one ton walking death machines. One well placed blow from a hoof can instantly end a person's life. Even a little tread on the toes can break bones. But I've grown up with horses, and the number one thing you first learn is how to read a horse. You are taught not to run around them, not to approach them from blind spots, make noises to let them know you're there. When people are injured by horses, I will therefore be much more likely to blame the victim for their predicament, because it's likely that the horse reacted out of self-defense because of a mistake the human made. You don't euthanize a horse because it kicked out and broke someone's leg. If a horse pins his ears, you back off. If a dog shows his teeth, you back off. I will not say it is the victim's entire fault, because that's just pouring salt in the wound, but it is a rare animal, with every sign of mental health, that will attack without provocation. 

There are no incidents to date of a spayed/neutered indoor family pit bull ever having killed anyone. Don't pick and choose at your statistics.

The media makes money off of reporting negative-connotation stories. It's the ones like this that never make it to the light. Earn the loyalty of a dog, and they will protect you with their lives, regardless of breed.

For every American Pit Bull Terrier who kills, there are hundreds of thousands who don't. Judge the animal, not the breed.

---

I've named my Echeveria Lola plant Tibet, and the ones grouped together in a pot Frodo, Sam, and the biggest one is divided into two - Merry and Pippin.

---

I wrinkle my nose at the salsa brands in a grocery store. Despite growing up in China, my mom makes the best salsa and guacamole I've ever tasted. She makes it properly, like the salsa you find in burritos, where the tomatoes, cilantro, and onions are diced and not blended together. She adds just the right amount of salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and it's the best thing in the world. For the sake of snack variety, I got tortilla strips and a jar of salsa at the store yesterday, but the salsa is all gross and blended and lumpy, and it's the most unappetizing color. I read the ingredients, and they added SUGAR and WATER. No wonder it's so runny and and the taste is so diluted.

---

AYEEEEE THE BLACKLIGHT RUN IS NEXT WEEK.


No comments:

Post a Comment