Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ring In 2k15

I'd think that this year was rather hard for me, both emotionally and physically, but I'd also like to think that I did an okay job of pushing through. So my anthem for this past year of 2014 is -

The Fighter (feat. Ryan Tedder), by Gym Class Heroes:


---

As stated in the post before this one, I dislike family reunions. For all that blood counts for, most of these people are strangers, as blunt as that sounds. I don't see them except three times a year, and some of them not even that much. I don't know how to talk to them, and they always make small talk - how's college, what's your major, I want to hear everything. I hate small talk because there's no interest, I have to keep answering the same question over and over again, and it gets stressful knowing how much to say and how long I should talk before I exceed the proper answer quota and start rambling.

So I'm not surprised I've enjoyed the car rides the most out of everything yet this whole vacation. I got a lot of new music, and didn't even go through it all on the six hour ride down to Southern California. We got there late, and my mother (a very sociable person) wanted to drop in on my grandparents before going to our B&B, but my dad and I knew that my grandma is just as, if not even more, sociable. In the end, we went to stay hi, and they kept us there from 8 PM to 11 PM, just talking. It was awful having to listen to them gab while I sat there bored.

I've figured out that there is hardly ever such thing as a rude extrovert. It's always (in my personal experience) the introvert who is rude for wanting to leave early, for wanting to spend quiet time alone, for being uncomfortable with obligatory conversations. I highly prize my quiet hours by myself, but I've been told that I'm "being rude" or "hurting other people's feelings" by being so reserved. But if people want to continue talking to me for hours after my tolerance level, they are perfectly within their rights and I just have to figure out how to endure.

---

I do not have a memory for detail over long stretches of time. To be honest, I don't really remember much of this year. I mean, yeah, I graduated, I went to college, but it didn't feel like anything special. I had some great nights though, I'll try to list them:

  • Prom after-party
  • Graduation party
  • Driving out to get tickets for the Blacklight Run
  • Blacklight Run
  • Sociology lecture about Race/Ethnicity, Culture, or Social Construction (I can't choose which)
  • PTV/SWS World Tour concert

It's sad I can't remember anything more. To be honest, only the first, fourth, and last bullet points are the ones I really liked. Everything else was added to make the list look less pathetically short. I've heard a lot about other people not liking 2014 more than I did, like they thought it was going to be great and they turned out to be really wrong. To me, I'm neutral: there were many extremely good moments and many extremely bad moments. I can remember more of the latter, but I know there were fun parts this year too.

---

I don't like the whole resolutions thing. It's nice that people try to set new goals for themselves, to better themselves, but it adds all this pressure to come up with something that's not a cliché. I'm not going to vow to go to the gym every week, nor clean up my room every day. I'm not going to lay off the sweets, or do something a day that scares me, because I've already accepted that bad days and thoughts and temptations are going to be very often for a horribly self-conscious and pessimistic person like me, and I'm not going to sugarcoat that inevitable reality like I've done before.

I just want to take life as it is. Better it where I can, but not get tied up in the things I absolutely have no power to change. So instead of a New Year's resolution, I'll start a new tradition. I have a empty Pirouette can in my dorm room and I'm going to fill it up with little slips of paper. On these pieces of paper are going to be written things that happen to me during days of 2015 - good, bad, funny, everything I will think was significant about that day. I'll write dates too.

I originally wanted it to only be about the good things, but I figured I may as well write the bad too, so I'll have proof of all these obstacles that I will have overcome. Think of it as a tough love pep talk. I also wanted to write a slip every day, but A) That'll fill up the can way too quick, and B) This blog has already taught me that I don't do well when I'm forced to do things on a schedule - that's why I abandoned my every-Friday schedule for posting and decided to just write whenever I feel like it.

So at the end of 2015, I'll have a whole can of tiny memories I forgot. I'll be able to remember all the things I usually forget, all the stuff that's lost in the white noise. Hopefully I'll want to keep some of those slips.

---

My playlist of favorite songs released/I discovered in 2014, plus many that I've liked for a long time, but am no longer embarrassed of admitting anymore.

Not listed in order of importance, but those with arrows are especially dear to me, in that I was either obsessed with them for a long, long time, or they were the doorway to a new favorite genre:

2014 Musical Favorites:

  1. You're So Creepy, by Ghost Town (Explicit)
  2. The Sound of Madness, by Shinedown
  3. Cool Kids, by Echosmith <-- <-- <--
  4. Secret Valentine, by We The Kings <--
  5. Cookie Jar, by Gym Class Heroes
  6. Dead Hearts, by Stars <-- <-- <--
  7. Do It Now Remember It Later, by Sleeping With Sirens
  8. Touchin On My, by 3OH!3
  9. Happy Little Pill, by Troye Sivan
  10. I Found Away, by Alkaline Trio
  11. The Kids Aren't Alright, by The Offspring
  12. Miserable At Best, by Mayday Parade <--
  13. My Chick Bad, by Ludacris 
  14. Take Me To Church, by Hozier
  15. Ten Thousand Feet, by I See Stars (Explicit) <--
  16. Sad Song, by We The Kings <--
  17. Top Of The World, by Greek Fire <--
  18. King For A Day, by Pierce the Veil (Explicit) <-- <-- <--
  19. Bleed It Out, by Linkin Park 
  20. Rolling Stones T-Shirt, by Dada Life <--
Most importantly, though:

   21. I'm Low On Gas and You Need A Jacket, by Pierce the Veil <-- <-- <-- <-- <--

This song will never be the same for me again. Every time I hear it in the future, it's gonna take me back. See "This Is Gonna Be The Best Day Of My Life" for an extremely detailed explanation.

---

Never forget the best headliner of 2014:



---

Me for the next 3 months:


---

Here's to 2k15. Don't let me down, man.


No comments:

Post a Comment