Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Survivor's Log 3

I'm in a tronpop mood tonight.

Love Like Woe, by The Ready Set:

---

(EDIT**: I uploaded this late, and it's now Dec. 2. My bad.)

I have one of those large calendars that you can write on, and tear off the months as they go by. 15 seconds ago, I tore off November and looked at the month of December.

Is my freshman year of college really already halfway over?

I only have three more weeks before winter break. Wow.

It feels like it's going to go by really quickly too. I don't have any more major projects to do, so all I have to focus on now is studying for finals. Lucky me, they're all crammed into the last two days of finals week (two per day), so I get to have maybe 30 minutes between one final and the next.

Sociology is as good as ever. In today's lecture the professor was talking about demographics and population, and I had a very long and passionate argument in my head as for why overpopulation and unsustainability is a thing. I had once read a comment somewhere (I forget where, it might've been on iFunny) that basically stated that the world isn't even close to being overpopulated, because we could pick up every person that exists and put them in Texas, with a sizable plot of land for everyone.

The lecture triggered this memory, and I had fun for 15 or so minutes asking this imaginary person how they could explain the placement of schools and buildings and agricultural fields in Texas as well, and telling them how selfish they are in continuing an unsustainable lifestyle with no repercussions in their life, but with consequences that the next generation must clean up. For Christ's sake, we only have about 250 years of coal left in the U.S., and that's not accounting for any surefire coal production increases (I apologize if that stat is wrong, I only parrot what I learned in AP Environmental Science).  And once that's gone, they will go on to tearing up new plots of land elsewhere until the entire Earth is scarred from fossil fuel mining. Anyways, while I had a good time mentally abusing this anonymous commenter, I lost track of what my professor was saying for a while. Oops.

Biology is boring. I'm kicking myself because my alarm woke me up at the right time this morning, but I was so tired (mild case of insomnia last night) I turned it off and instantly fell asleep right after. When I woke up again, class had already started. Oops again.

The professor is awesome though, nearly as awesome as my sociology professor and TA. He looks like Bob Ross (and makes fun of himself for it - I admire anyone who happily pokes fun at themselves) and has this thing called "Random Cat Friday," where in the middle of his slides there's a randomly inserted picture of a cat/kitten photoshopped in badass backgrounds (in space, or on top of a unicorn, for example). He makes lectures less boring, but the subject - pthbthhhh.

Chemistry is still a reiteration of everything sophomore year. A.k.a, boring. I forgot about the online homework, so I just finished it all during lecture, while occasionally looking up to pay attention. The professor, while being really sweet and likable, is not very good at getting to the point - one of my pet peeves.

Dance is the same as ever too. We've got nothing to do but work on our final project, which is to choreograph a dance that represents our cumulative semester. For a class that hardly ever danced, I don't think it's fair to have a final based on physical dancing, but I convinced my group to let me play the piano (Here I Am, by Bryan Adams from the movie Spirit) for a part of our choreography, so I'm moderately okay.

The professor is also warming up to my writing; I got a paper back today and even though I wrote it no differently than the papers that got B's, I got full credit. Go figure.

For a first college semester, I could stand to be more impressed. The majority of my classes are less than inspiring, and the students here - even more so. Emotionally, I'm constantly swinging between overjoyed radiance (like when I bumped into a friend outside of class - I don't have enough friends to do this even remotely often so it was a nice surprise) and flat-out depression (like when I realized I don't have enough friends to bump into on a daily basis). I mean, I'm not unwell. But I've definitely felt better.

---

I've been burning though a lot of songs as of late, so here's another one.

A Love Like War (feat. Vic Fuentes), by All Time Low


---

I haven't explored a new animal in a long time, so I figured since I didn't write too much I'll go ahead and find a new one to research.

Piure (Pyura chilensis)


I swear it's alive, even though it looks like the deadest thing in the world. Looks like hardened magma, that's what I think. Or a tomato encased in concrete. I'm just going to call it living rock; piure is the Spanish word for it.

This sea creature is a tunicate, or a marine invertebrate, and is completely immobile. As you can see in the picture, it resembles a rock with a bunch of organs inside. It eats by sucking in water and filtering out microorganisms, and lives in close bunches with other living rocks (imagine a mussel bed). This weird... thing is born male, becomes a hermaphrodite during puberty, and can procreate by self-fertilization (O_O). I found an article that calls it selfing, and that's the only way I will ever refer to asexual reproduction from here on out. Basically, it reproduces by squirting out its joy juice into the water in a giant orgy cloud, and hopes it runs into some gametes of the opposite gender. Too far?

It's mainly found off the coast of Chile and Peru, and the two largest importers of living rocks are Sweden and Japan.

It's perfectly edible, and can be eaten either raw or cooked. Apparently it tastes like iodine - a slightly bitter and soapy taste. However, there are some concerns about eating it, because its clear blood contains high amounts of vanadium (a chemical element) and can cause damage to the liver if eaten in excess amounts. For context, vanadium is also found in crude oil and tar sands. 

Actually, however, parsley also has trace amounts of vanadium too - that's why it's used as a garnish so often, the flavor's pretty strong. So if you're ever short on parsley, add a bit of selfing vanadium-secreting intestine-tomato-rock thing to round out your dish.

Take my word for it. I'm a great cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment